President Confers Gallantry and Distinguished Service Awards
Gallantry Awards and Distinguished Service Decorations were conferred by the President and the Supreme Commander of Indian Armed Forces Shri Ram Nath Kovind – to Armed Forces Personnel for displaying conspicuous gallantry, indomitable courage and extreme devotion to duty – at the Defence Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday 14 March 2019. The gallantry awards conferred include three Kirti Chakras and fifteen Shaurya Chakras as follows:
- Major Tushargauba / 20thBattalion The Jat Regiment
- Sepoy Vrahma Pal Singh, The Rajput Regiment / 44thbattalion The Rashtriya Rifles (Posthumous) and
- Constable Rajendra Kumar Nain, 130 Bn,CRPF (Posthumous)
Shaurya Chakras, an Indian military decoration awarded for valour, courageous action or self-sacrifice while not engaged in direct action with the enemy that may be awarded to civilians as well as military personnel, sometimes posthumously. Head Constable Dhanawade Ravindra Baban of 182 Bn, CRPF (Posthumous) is one amongst 15 Shaurya Chakra awardees.
Government of India, thereafter, instituted on 4 January 1952 – three other gallantry awards i.e. Ashoka Chakra Class-I, the Ashoka Chakra Class-II and the Ashoka Chakra Class-III, deemed to have effect from 15 August, 1947; and these awards were renamed in January 1967as Ashoka Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra respectively.
These gallantry awards are announced twice in a year – first on the occasion of the Republic Day and then on the occasion of the Independence Day. Order of precedence of these awards is Param Vir Chakra, Ashoka Chakra, Mahavir Chakra, Kirti Chakra, Vir Chakra and Shaurya Chakra.
Param Vishisht Seva Medals were also conferred by the President to the following:
- General Bipin Rawat, Chief of Army Staff
- Lieutenant General Surinder Singh
- Lieutenant General Bipin Puri
- Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane
- Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar Payyapillil
- Air Marshal Balakrishnan Suresh
- Air Marshal Raghunath Nambiar
- Lieutenant General Ashwani Kumar
- Lieutenant General Pankaj Kumar Srivastava
- Lieutenant General Sudarshan Shrikant Hasabnis
- Lieutenant General Iqroop Singh Ghuman
- Air Marshal Sardar Harpal Singh
- Lieutenant General Shokin Chauhan
- Lieutenant General Jaswinder Singh Sandhu
- Major General Vijay Dnayandev Chowgule
President also conferred Uttam Yudh Seva Medal to Lieutenant General Saranjeet Singh and 25 Ati Vishisht Seva Medals to senior officers of the Armed Forces for distinguished service of an exceptional order.
Gallantry Awards: Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra and Vir Chakra were instituted by Government of India on 26 January 1950, which were deemed to have effect from 15 August 1947.