International Mega Food Park
Mega Food Park Scheme launched with the primary objective to provide adequate/excellent infrastructure facilities for food processing along the value chain from farm to market, is expected to facilitate processing of perishables, leading to reduction in wastage, increase realization for farmers, capacity building of producers and processors and creation of an efficient supply chain along with significant direct and indirect employment generation. The scheme includes creation of infrastructure near the farm, transportation, logistics and centralized processing centers and is demand – driven, pre-marketed and mandated to meet environmental, safety and social standards.
International Mega Food Park (IMFP) first of its kind was inaugurated by Ms Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Union Minister for Food Processing Industries, Government of India; at Dabwala Kalan in Fazilka District of Punjab under the Mega Food Park Scheme. This food park worth Rs. 136 crore (US$ 20 million) is constructed on 55 acre land and has additional facilities for processing milk and milk products besides packaging vegetables and fruits. The park has the following features:
- State-of-the-art model infrastructure with high end technology.
- State-of-the-art quality testing labs are provided to ensure quality products.
- Best global practices and global manufacturing standards.
- International hygiene standards.
- End to end linkage, from the farmer, to the food processing sector and to the consumer.
- Park is connected with the towns of Fazilka, Abohar, Malout, Muktsar, Jalalabad and is about 20-30 Kms from all these places.
- Bhatinda, an upcoming major town of Punjab, having good rail and air connectivity with Delhi is just 70 Kms from IMFPL location.
- Marketing facility to farmers and help in getting the highest possible price for their products.
- E-Marketing facility in order to bring farmers to a bigger horizon by connecting them with the National Commodity Markets.
- Marketing Facility for Industries / SME’s and help in setting up the Marketing & Sales organization structure – identity, select, recruit & induct competent manpower, suitable for each specific industry needs.
- Help & assistance in launching of products and Brands from start-up to market dominance. This includes the entire process from – product development, packaging, branding, pricing, promotion & distribution.
- Setting up of Distribution channels is given special attraction as this is the most critical tasks in food product sales.
- Develop a long-term marketing Strategy for growth & assist in its implementation.
Government of India has approved the setting up of five such Mega Food Parks in the states of Bihar, Maharashtra, Himachal Pradesh and Chhattisgarh and plans to set up 42 Mega Food Parks across the country in next three to four years.