Gangajal Project for Better & Assured Water Supply in Agra
Panchdhara, five facets of development that include Education for Children, Irrigation for Farmers, Livelihood to Youth, Medicines for Elderly, Grievance Redressal to Everyone (जन-जन की सुनवाई); hold the key to the progress of nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reiterated, emphasizing the priorities of his Government, while addressing a rally at Kothi Meena Bazaar in Agra on Wednesday 9 January 2019.
Prime Minister launched a series of development projects worth ₹2900 Crore for the Agra city and the adjoining areas, giving a major push to develop and enhance Tourism infrastructure in Agra:
- Gangajal project that aims to bring 140 cusecs of Ganga water to Agra and will provide Agra with better and more assured water supply at an estimated cost of ₹2880 crore was dedicated to the nation. This will help meet the drinking water demands in the city.
- Prime Minister laid the foundation Stone of Integrated Command and Control Centre for Agra Smart City.
- In this project CCTVs will be installed throughout Agra City for monitoring and surveillance for the purpose of safety and security.
- This will help to develop Agra as a Modern World Class Smart City, befitting its stature as a Premium Tourist Destination, at a total cost of ₹285 crore.
- These facilities will also attract tourists.
- Under Ayushman Bharat Yojana Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of the up-gradation of SN Medical College in Agra.
- It will result in creation of 100 bed maternity wing in the Women’s hospital, at an estimated cost of ₹200 Crore and add to the health and maternity care for the weaker sections of the society.
- Lauding Ayushman Bharat Yojana Prome Minister said that more than 7 lakh people have availed the benefits under the scheme within a span of 100 days.
- Under AMRUT scheme Prime Minister laid the foundation stone of sewerage network project for the western part of Agra, which will lead to improved sanitation facility in over 50000 houses
The Prime Minister said, “With the projects like Gangajal project, and facilities like CCTV cameras, we are taking steps towards making Agra a Smart City.” “I want to inform you that under Namami Ganga Mission, the cleaning of river Yamuna is also our priority”.
On 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Sections in the general category in education as well as central and state government jobs, the Prime Minister said that this is a step in the right direction. He made it clear that the Government will be adding more number of seats in the educational institutions to ensure that the other category students will not be affected, “We have taken a major step to provide education facilities at the higher educational, technical and professional institutions in addition to the reservation for the poor from general category. We have also increased the number of seats in the higher education institutions by 10%. We won’t have a system which takes away the right of anyone.”
On GST: Prime Minister said that GST is not a new tax. Earlier, the consumers could not see that they were paying more than 30% in various taxes. Now whatever tax they pay they see it. It is a transparent tax system. Most of the items – of being used by the common man are now under or at 18% tax slab. The process to make GST simpler for businessmen is going on. Government is implementing suggestions sent by the public.