Career in Commerce after 10+2
In a country where being a science student is synonymous with being intelligent and laborious; it certainly is a tough decision to be a commerce student. With science stream given so much importance by everyone, it is important to know that commerce is a stream which can build up a beautiful career by opening up substantial avenues for students of the new generation.
Thankfully, the scenario is undergoing a metamorphosis around the world in the realm of economic activity, thus putting Commerce on a pedestal as a trending career option for students. Commerce has emerged as a vast field with so many potential career options to choose from. One great advantage associated with this field is that it offers you a choice to pick a traditional course related to commerce or choose a course from discrete fields like language or arts. So if you are unable to define the best career option for yourself, here is an insight on some courses that you may choose after passing your 12th standard.
- Bachelors in Commerce (B.Com) – It is a three-year-long undergraduate course that is available in three modes – B.Com (Pass), B.Com (Honors), and B.Com (Vocational). This is a basic course that provides an overview of commerce as a field coupled with some important managerial skills. Before enrolling, it’s important for the students to decide on taking which major to join.
- Chartered Accountant (CA) – This is certainly the most desired course among students who opt for Commerce in their 10+2. It is mandatory for the students to appear for the Common Proficiency Test managed by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). The duration of the course is five years and has three stages CA – CPT, CA – IPCC, and CA – Final. In order to start functioning as a CA, one must complete the Chartered Accountancy Course and become a member of ICAI.
- Company Secretary (CS) – This is another very popular course due to its financially lucrative aspect. The candidate is required to complete the 3-part exam including the foundational Program, Executive Program, and the Professional Program. The main job of a CS is to ensure that a business or a company is following the legal and statutory requirements during their daily operations.
- Cost and Management Accountant (CMA) – Earlier known as the CWA course, the CMA course comprises of three levels – Foundation, Intermediate, and Final. Depending upon the candidates’ aptitude, the course lasts for 2-3 years. Certified Cost Accountants have an array of promising job opportunities where they maintain accounting records and do cost auditing.
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP) – The CFP is required if you wish to work in areas like wealth management, insurance planning, mutual fund management, etc. The Financial Planning Standard Board India (FPSB) is the main licensing body that offers CFP license.
- A. Economics – This is a three-year undergraduate course for students who wish to gain specialization in the economic framework. Besides gaining insight into a wide range of topics from international trade to government policies, the students also experience practical knowledge on various economic concepts.
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) – BBA is also a three-year-long degree course which is ideal for the students who are inclined towards business and management. With this course, the students get a chance to explore the functionalities of the business environment and gain exposure to various business aspects.
Besides these, there are several other courses that are highly suitable for students from the commerce stream like –
- Bachelors in Accounting and Finance
- Bachelor of Financial Markets
- Bachelors in Banking and Insurance
- Bachelor of Law (B.A. L.L.B.)
- Hospitality Diploma Course
- Animation and Multimedia Course
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Event Management
- Fashion Design and Technology
- Hotel Management
- Actuarial Science
It is therefore evident that choosing a career in commerce is a great choice. Commerce has grown tremendously and provides a wide scope of career options to pursue after class 12. The scope is getting wider as students realize the importance of Commerce and the specialization courses associated with it. These courses offer you an opportunity to grow and help you carve an illustrious career.